For today’s top ten I am going to list my favorite artist and my favorite song by that artist. While this list was easy to create picking my favorite song was hard because I love all of their songs.
- Cece Winans : Cece Winans is my absolute favorite artist EVER! At one point in time she was the only thing I would listen too. Her voice is amazing to me, however that’s not the only thing that draws me to her. Her spirit, her love and connection to GOD is a big factor to why she is my #1 favorite Artist. I have all of her Albums, videos, books. My husband once said that I look at Cece in a way that I don’t even look at him (no I am not a stalker, she’s just amazes me). It was hard for me to pick a favorite because I love all of her songs but there is something about Everlasting Love that moves my spirit in a way that no other song can.
FAVORITE SONG: Everlasting Love
- Whitney Houston : Although I was young, I remember when Whitney released her first album in 1985 and became an instant fan. The voice is what she was called and it was a name that she lived up too. I know that Whitney has been plagued with problems later in life and I get very tearful (yes tearful) when I hear what her voice was compared to what her voice is today. However she will always be one of my favorites for the music she gave to me in the PAST, present and future.
FAVORITE SONG: Miracle
- Prince: His purple Majesty. I fell in love with Prince at the age of seven when my grandmother took me to see Purple Rain. He is the reason that my favorite color is purple. I put Prince into the Genius category when it comes to music. He has been the creative force behind so many different artist (to many to name), as well as the creative force behind some of the strangest things I have seen in my life (we all remember the jeans with the butt out). All in all he is just the most creative person in the music industry.
FAVORITE SONG: Raspberry Beret
- Beyonce : I admit it, I am a Beyonce fan. Yes I love Beyonce. I think the girl has MEGA talent and will go down in history as one of the major influences of the 21st century. I have been a fan since she was a member of Destiny’s Child (yes they do appear on the list) and my love for her has carried over to her solo career. I remember when she released her first solo single, crazy in love, in the summer of 2003. I loved the video so much that I actually signed up for a hip hop dance class to make my booty pop just like hers. Get Me Bodied is not one of her best vocal songs however my daughter loved this song and video and made me watch it every day, thus it became my favorite.
FAVORITE SONG: Get Me Bodied
- Bette Midler : During my senior inauguration three girls sang a song called the Rose. I had never heard it before and fell in love with it that moment. I later discovered that it was originally sung by Bette Midler for a movie of the same name. I had seen plenty of Bette Midler movies before (Stella, Beaches to name a few) and new that she has a powerful voice (The wind beneath my wings) but didn’t become a true fan until I heard the Rose. It’s a very simple song with a sweet message that is even more powerful if you watch the movie (yes I do own it in my collection). I love Bette Midler style, especially her brassiness. She is definitely “The Divine Miss M”.
FAVORITE SONG: The Rose
- Celine Dion : Effortless. That’s the first word that comes to mind when I think of Celine Dion. I discovered her music while watching the Disney film Beauty and the Beast and have been attached ever since. There isn’t really much for me to say about Celine because the words just don’t match her voice. While I have other favorites above her, Celine has THE BEST voice I have ever heard in my life. I always say it should be illegal to sing that well.
FAVORITE SONG: Oh Holy Night
- India Aire : India’s music feeds my soul. Her positive message and southern spirit moves me. I loved her first three albums (not the fourth one so much) and sometimes I just listen to them over and over again. I think she is highly under rated as a musician but sometimes those are the best ones.
FAVORITE SONG: Ready for Love
- The Ojays : I love the O’Jays. Their music is rich with history (having started singing back in 1963). How did this song become my favorite and not some of the more popular ones (backstabbers, love train, use ta be my girl). We played the song during a college football game (yes I was in the college band – Go HAMPTON) and I have loved this song ever since. Wildflower is one of the most performed songs in Canadian history. It evens has it’s own website. Some of you may be familiar with the song and not even know it. It is sampled in “Unpredictable” by Jamie Foxx. While I have heard other versions (ranging from 1972 to 2008), the 1974 live OJay’s Version is the best.
FAVORITE SONG: Wildflower
- Destiny’s Child : One of the best selling artist in the US recording history. That’s who they are. You may sleep on them but they are actually a good group with great harmony. They have been through major changes but still continued to succeed which shows a lot of dedication to me. That’s why I love them and that’s why they made my list.
FAVORITE SONG: Bootylicious
- Janet Jackson : It was a tough choice. Janet Jackson or Michael Jackson. While I do love Michael and think his music is amazing and he talent was off the charts, I have to choose his sister over him (I know, I know, how could I). Well because she a great performer. To me Janet Jackson is the anti Whitney Houston. If I had to choose between going to a Whitney Houston (before the drugs and stuff) concert and a Janet Jackson concert, Janet would win hands down. She really gives you a show (I have been to three of her concerts and they were amazing).
FAVORITE SONG: Black Cat
These are my favorite 10 ten Artist but I have so many more that I love. What are some of your favorites?